Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,
Here is a copy of my April Florilegium article detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
I am in the middle of creating a list of desired articles for the Florilegium and will post the list on the site. If you've tried to find something in the Florilegium and couldn't find it or you have some other ideas of articles you would like to see, please email me your suggestions and I will add them to the list. If anyone is looking for something to research, take a look at this list and see if something looks interesting to you.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past seventeen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
- barley-water-msg - Period barley water. A non-alcoholic drink.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
- Teetotms-Dreid-art - "Teetotums and Dreidels" by THL Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
In the FOOD-BREADS section:
- Bagels-art - "Period Bagels?" by Mairi Ceilidh.
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
- Firecrawling-art - "Fyrecrawling 101" by THL Thomas Whitehart, aka True Thomas the Storyteller.
This month there are only a few new files since I've been concentrating on updating a bunch of the older ones. Here are a few of the updated files.
- books-food-msg - Books about food. Not cookbooks.
- breakfast-msg - What's for breakfast? SCA and period.
- cakes-msg - Period cakes and cake recipes.
- casting-msg - Casting pewter and other metals.
- birds-recipes-msg - Bird recipes. Squabs, pheasants, quail.
- chd-actvites-msg - Children's activities for SCA events.
- children-msg - Children in the SCA and period.
- chocolate-msg - History and description of early chocolate.
- desserts-msg - Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
- fd-Italy-msg - Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
- fd-Mongols-msg - Food of the Mongols. Recipes.
- garum-msg - Roman fish sauces made from fermented fish. Also includes comments on liquamen.
- gourds-msg - Gourds, pumpkins, squash. Recipes.
- infusions-msg - Period infusions. Herbal "teas". Barley tea.
- lentils-msg - Period lentil dishes and comments on lentils
- privvies-msg - Managing privvies at SCA events.
- sugar-msg - Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org/ ****