I need some folks more knowledgeable than me to check out some points and make sure that there aren't any major errors of fact there.
- Bits about whaling crossbows. I can't find reference to an early start date for these, although I recall seeing one in a museum dating to 1895.
- Types of steel used in sword construction. What is the main difference in the type of steel used to construct (say) a foil, a (SCA standard) rapier, and the type of sword a metal weapons group dude might use? They have different flexibilities because of ... ?
- Can someone (Marshallate?) check up on draw weights of crossbows and how the metric equivalents of these things might work? Is there a standard way of measuring this? What typical draw weights of a crossbow might I find for sale in a crossbow shop? What draw weights are likely to have been used by (e.g.) Genoese mercenaries of the period?
- Can someone find anything on classification of sword vs dagger vs knife that specifies blade lengths?
- Check up on fire rates of ballistae and the such like (if catapults are outlawed, then only outlaws will have catapults).
-- Master Delbert von Strassburg
Seneschal, Kingdom of Lochac
Society for Creative Anachronism Australia
Read Master Delbert's response (draft) by clicking on our header.
Related story on the government ban on crossbows and Samurai swords: