Greetings to those across the Known World,
Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month..
If you have written any SCA-oriented articles for your local newsletter, please consider sending them for me for the Florilegium. You've already put in effort researching and writing such an article, and having it in the Florilegium is one way of helping the Known World as well. Often a class handout or a piece of A&S documentation can also work well. I would especially love to get any papers entered in A&S contests. The copyright remains with the author and I accept updates and revisions as you learn more.
I will be attending Gulf Wars in four weeks or so and will be staying with my barony across the road from the Anstoerra gate. If you are going to be there, please feel free to stop by and visit. My banner, which can be seen on the Florilegium site, should be hanging on our pavilion.
You can also catch me at my class about the Florilegium on Wednesday or Friday or my usual hands-on pewter casting classes on Tuesday or Thursday.
A Blending of the Past and Present
Over the past seventeen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.
I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well.
I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.
THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org
Here are the new files for this month:
In the ARCHERY section:
- Trgt-les-Prac-art - "Target-less Practice" by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf.
- Winners-Choic-art - "Winner's Choice" by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf.
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
- p-cstume-prty-msg - Period/medieval costume parties.
In the DANCE section:
- Belly-Dance-art - "Re-Creating a 'Belly Dance' Persona in the SCA" by Rebba (Lady) Esther bat Baruch.
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
- ES-Bookbindng-art - "Embroidered Spine Bookbinding" by Master Sven Odin Eye.
This month there are only a few new files since I've been concentrating on updating a bunch of the older ones. Here are a few of the updated files.
- almond-milk-msg - Making almond milk. Recipes. Deskinning nuts
- artichokes-msg - Period artichokes. Recipes. Cardoons.
- butchering-msg - Overview of butchering livestock and game.
- chainmail-msg - Making chainmail. Mail armor. References.
- cider-msg - Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
- liver-msg - Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.
- marzipan-msg - Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
- patterns-msg - Sources for clothing patterns. Altering mundane patterns.
- saffron-msg - Types of saffron. period uses.
- sausages-msg - Period sausages. Making sausage.
- shields-msg - SCA and period shields.
- slings-msg - Slings as weapons. combat and hunting.
- thickening-msg - Use of period food thickening agents.
- wafers-msg - Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
- weddings-msg - Period and SCA weddings.
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
THLord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****