The Chief Technical Officer (CTO) leads a team of volunteers who maintain and manage the SCA's Internet servers for web, email, and related infrastructure services. The CTO team manages the SCA's Internet domains, SSL certificates, and the technical aspects of e-commerce clearinghouse services, and similar aspects of the corporation's online identity. The SCA.org Webmaster reports to the CTO, as do several special project deputies. The CTO may also lead and direct external paid contractors for specific projects or administrative duties.
This position requires both specific technical and interpersonal skills, including the following:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing, including documents and announcements that will be released for public perusal. This position also requires four detailed quarterly reports plus to the Society Seneschal and the Board, plus an annual (Domesday) report.
- Ability to interact constructively with non-technical clients who use the SCA's online services, including Society officers, Board members, and the SCA's corporate office team.
- Ability to lead a team of technical volunteers and/or paid contractors to support and enhance the SCA's Internet capabilities.
- Ability to interact with the Society Chronicler, Society Web Minister, and other corporate level officers to advise on policy issues related to information technology.
- Familiarity with the software components and technologies used on the SCA servers. The main components include:
- Linux operating system, preferably an RPM-based distribution
- MySQL relational database manager (use and administration)
- Exim mail transfer agent
- Courier IMAP mail server
- ClamAV anti-virus software
- SpamAssassin and CRM-114 spam filtering software
- SquirrelMail webmail client
- GNU Mailman list server
- Apache 2.x web server
- Request Tracker (RT) trouble ticketing system
- Concurrent Versioning System (CVS)
- SSH terminal and file transfer services
- PHP programming language
- Perl programming language
- Bourne shell script programming
- Interchange web e-commerce system
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
Qualified applicants should have a technical college degree and at least ten years of experience in information technology, or equivalent. Reliable high-speed Internet access, including while traveling, is essential, and ownership of a laptop computer is highly desirable.
The Chief Technical Officer leads and/or implements strategic projects on a largely self-directed basis or as requested by Society officers or the Board. He or she also corrects problems on the SCA servers, sometimes on an emergency basis.
The CTO receives multiple daily reports from the servers, including status of important software systems, e-commerce summaries, and security bulletins. These reports need to be monitored on a daily or near-daily basis.
The time commitment of the CTO position is approximately ten hours per week normally, but can be considerably larger in the event of problems or major strategic project work. The term of office is normally three years. The job of Chief Technical Officer is a considerable work commitment, but also a very unique challenge seldom found in the corporate world, with a great deal of latitude for technical and strategic creativity.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, together with modern and SCA qualifications, hardcopy to Renee Signorotti, Society for Creative Anachronism, P.O. Box 360789, Milpitas, CA 95036-0789, with courtesy copies to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Applications must be received by April 1, 2008.
Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
Milpitas, CA 95036
You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing lists.