Last Saturday the Crown Tournament to determine the Heirs of our esteemed Brennan Augustus and Caoilfhionn Augusta was held in the Barony of L’Ile du Dragon Dormant in the Crown Principality of Tir Mara.
The first round of the Tournament was fought using a round robin format. All combatants were divided into 4 different pools. The combatants in each pool are listed below. The Gazette’s thanks Lady Cat Lennox for the use of her photos from the event.
Filed under: Events, Heavy List Tagged: Crown Tournament, Crown Tourney, spring crown
Lilies War Webminister Eynon reports that the War's Master Schedule is online and has been updated. A printable version is available from Google Docs or in PDF format.
An excavation of a site near the Bedouin village of Hura by the Israel Antiquities Authority has revealed a 6th century Byzantine church, complete with amazingly intact mosaic floors. (photos)
The original artwork of Wolverine’s first appearance in comics sold at auction Friday for a record $657,250. It ties the record for the most expensive comic book art in general — Todd McFarlane’s original 1990 cover art for The Amazing Spider-Man #328 sold in 2012 for $657,250 — and sets a new record for original artwork from the interior of a comic, beating out an iconic image of Batman and Robin drawn by Frank Miller for 1986′s The Dark Knight Returns which sold in 2011 for $448,125.
“We knew when this artwork surfaced that is was, without doubt, one of the most significant pieces of original comic art ever drawn,” said Todd Hignite, Vice President of Heritage Auctions. “It has now brought a final price realized commensurate with that status.”
Penciled by Herb Trimpe and inked by Jack Abel, the drawing introduced the mutant Wolverine in the last panel of the last page of The Incredible Hulk #180 in October of 1974, making this year the 40th anniversary of Wolverine’s first appearance. The story written by Len Wein puts Hulk in the wilds of Canada where he hopes to enjoy a little r&r, only to find himself tangling with the Wendigo. The Canadian government, concerned about the very large green man with anger management issues, sends in a secret weapon to handle him: Weapon X, aka, Wolverine. “If you really want to tangle with someone,” the mutant helpfully suggests, “why not try your luck against – the WOLVERINE!”
Wolverine shared his first cover with Hulk on the next issue (#181) and the two continued their minuet with the Wendigo through issue #182. Wolverine then moved on to the company that would make him famous, appearing in Giant-Size X-Men #1 in May of 1975. He didn’t get his first solo title until 1982.
A year later, Trimpe gave the artwork from that last page of The Incredible Hulk #180 to a young fan who quietly kept it all these years. He wasn’t involved in the collector community, so nobody knew that the work had survived until a few months ago when Heritage Auctions announced that it not only existed, but was going up for auction. The seller, who has chosen to remain anonymous, planned to give the bulk of the after-tax profits to charity, including the Hero Initiative which raises funds to support comic book artists and writers in need.
The buyer is collector and sports card dealer Thomas Fish. According to Heritage Auctions’ website, he’s been amenable to purchase offers on freshly acquired works in the past, so it’s likely an investment piece intended for resale.
The Falcon Banner, the news source for the Kingdom of Calontir, reports that special parking restrictions will be in place for the first Friday of Lilies War 2014.
Duke Michael of Bedford, inspired by Duchess Seonaid ní Fhionn, was the victor of the May 3, 2014 Crown Tournament in the Kingdom of Atlantia.
Their Majesties Brennan Augustus and Caoilfhionn Augusta, Emperor and Empress of the Kingdom of the East, on 10 May 2014, AS XLIX traveled to their Shire of Blak Rose, and held court at Whitsuntide Fest.
After a brief address to the populace, they called forth Mori Katsu. His virtues expressed, they thus made him a Lord of the Court, presenting an AoA with a scroll by Sakurai no Kesame.
Next was called before them Sadira of Montevale. She was made a Lady of the Court, and presented an AoA with a scroll by Scroll by Elisenda de Luna.
Their Majesties called before them Cian ap Cadwallader. They named him a Lord of the Court, and he was thus awarded an AoA with a scroll by Elsa de Lyon.
Master Ruslan was called before the court. He presented words from Their Majesties Lohac, as well as a sealed scroll.
Maestra Sol was called before Their Majesties. She brought with her numerous residents of Blak Rose, and presented to Emperor Brennan and Empress Caoilfhionn a number of exquisite gifts.
Jessica of Blak Rose was called forward. Her many great works cited, she was made a Lady of the Court, and received an AoA scroll by Nest verch Tangwistel. His Majesty Brennan, however, issued her a quest to seek a more proper name befitting a Lady of the Court prior to his next visit to the Shire.
Then was Rodney Fythlyn Hundboldse called before the court. His talents in playing numerous musical instruments noted, he was presented with the cup symbolizing his inclusion in the Order of the Troubadour, and an additional cup for his inspiring Lady Wife. He further received a scroll by Mariette de Bretagne.
Their Majesties invited the children to come forward. They were given the chance to chase after the Royal Toybox, while avoiding the intermittent rain, and much laughter pealed across the court.
His Majesty invited forth all those who participated in any form of combat during the day. Thanking the Soldiers of the East, he presented each with coin to pay them for their continued service to Crown and Kingdom.
Next was called forward Khamsa bint Rasheed ibn Daoud al-Hourani. She was made a Lady of the Court, and received an AoA scroll by Nest verch Tangwistel.
Marcus of Owlsherst was requested before the court. His combat prowess spoken highly of, he was inducted to the Order of the Gawain. He received a garter from the arm of the Emperor, and a scroll by Katherine Stanhope.
Now came before the court Elspeth of Silverkeep. She was made a Lady of the Court, and presented with an AoA scroll by Ylaire St. Claire.
Odd Wulfgarrson was called before the court. He was made a Lord of the Court, and received an AoA scroll by Harold von Auerbach.
Their Majesties called forward Elsa de Lyon. Lucan and Jana, many years before, had inducted the Lady into their Order of the Maunche. Her scroll would be presented to her now…were it not still incomplete. The pretense ended, she was presented with a Writ, and the Order of the Laurel was called forth. She would answer the question set before her at the coming Southern Region War Camp, as to whether she would join the most austere order. The writ was on a scroll created by Kay Leigh Mac Whyte.
Concluding a day of much merriment and fun, thus closed the court of Their Imperial Majesties, Brennan Augustus and Caoilfhionn Augusta. Long may they reign over the Empire of the East!
Filed under: Court
This is a recurring series by Mistress Alys Mackyntoich on whether certain names currently can be documented to period based on existing evidence.. There are a lot of names that people think are medieval, but actually aren’t, and others which people think are modern, but in fact are found in the SCA’s period. If you would like to suggest a name, send an email to the Gazette.
Today’s names are Shakespeare’s heroines.
The names of Shakespeare’s heroines are frequently requested as SCA names. Many of these names are easily found in period Europe.
Beatrice is found in various spellings throughout Europe, including England, France and Italy, through the later parts of period. , 
Bianca is found as a female name in Italy.
Celia likewise is a female Italian name.
Cordelia is found in sixteenth and early seventeenth century England.
Hero is found as a female given name in England, the Netherlands and Germany.
Juliet is found in early seventeenth century England.
Olivia is found in England and Italy., 
Portia can be found as the name of real women in sixteenth century Italy.
We very recently found evidence of Miranda as a female given name in Spain.
We are still researching whether a number of other Shakespearean names are documentable. As more and more period books and documents become generally available through digitization, we continue to uncover evidence for names we previously thought “undocumentable.”
 “English Names found in Brass Enscriptions” by Janell K. Lovelace (http://heraldry.sca.org/names/brasses/women.html)
 “Names from Sixteenth Century Venice” by Julia Smith (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/16thcvenice.html).
 “Feminine Given Names from the Online Catasto of Florence of 1427″ by Josh Mittleman (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/catasto/)
 “Something Rich and Strange: “Undocumentable” Names >From The IGI Parish Records” by Alys Mackyntoich (http://heraldry.sca.org/names/SomethingRichandStrange.html).
 “England Marriages, 1538–1973 ,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJ9C-GYB), Hero Olde and Wilmott, 17 Jan 1603; citing Gwinear, Cornwall, England, Batch: M02571-3; “Netherlands, Marriages, 1565-1892,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FN7W-NTG : accessed 22 Apr 2014), Hero Cornelisz and Jannetje Alberts, 08 May 1611; citing Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands, Batch: M01224-8
 “England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5LP-V4L), Juliet Mordent, 15 Jul 1621; citing SAINT BOTOLPH BISHOPSGATE, LONDON, LONDON, ENGLAND, Batch: P00161-1
 “England Marriages, 1538–1973 ,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V52F-1F9), Ricardus Howarde and Olivia Hille, 11 Jun 1587; citing High Ham, Somerset, England; Batch: M01936-2
 “España, defunciones, 1600-1920,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FNMS-RL8), Miranda Miguel, 10 Feb 1642; citing Murcia, Murcia, Spain; Batch: B86284-3
Filed under: Heraldry Tagged: heraldry, names
Officials of Lilies War, which takes place June 13-22, 2014 at Smithville Lake in Clay County, Missouri, have announced that tours for the public will be available June 15, 2014.
Threads Magazine has anncounced its 2014 American Sewing Expo (ASE) Challenge: 1/2-Scale Design Challenge on the theme of "Fashion Icons through the Ages." The contest is limited to 100 entries and garments must be finished by August 1, 2014.
A Roman marching camp from the 1st to 3rd century A.D. has been discovered near the town of Hachelbich in Thuringia. It’s the first Roman military camp found in the eastern German province and the first camp that is more than a day’s travel from the eastern border of the empire on the Rhine. In fact, it’s closer to the Elbe River than it is to the Rhine (the Elbe is about 150 miles east of the site, the Rhine 220 west), a strong indication that the Roman military did not completely withdraw to the Rhine even after three legions led by Publius Quintilius Varus were slaughtered by Germanic tribesmen at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest in 9 A.D.
The discovery of a large third century battlefield on Harzhorn hill in Lower Saxony in 2008 confirmed that there was a significant Roman military presence east of the Teutoburg Forest more than 200 years after Varus’ humiliating defeat. Archaeologists estimate about 1,000 Roman soldiers fought (and won) at Harzhorn. The Hachelbich marching camp is about 60 miles southeast of Harzhorn. It covers 18 hectares and was large enough to accommodate an entire legion of around 5,000 soldiers. As a marching camp, it wasn’t a permanent fortress, but rather a protective enclosure built by the legionaries in one evening so they could camp down in a defended position. They wouldn’t have spent more than a few days there while on their way elsewhere, in this case probably east towards the Elbe.
The site was found in 2010 during road work, but it was kept quiet while archaeologists explored the area. They excavated more than two hectares and covered another 10 hectares with magnetometers and aerial surveys. Now that the site has been identified as a military camp, the Thuringian State Office for Heritage and Archaeology has announced the find. They’re keeping the exact location a secret, however, to keep looters from ravaging the place on the hunt for portable Roman artifacts.
A rough rectangle with round corners, the camp is standard Roman military issue. No matter where they were, legions on the move set up a minifortress in the wilderness at the end of each day’s march. At Hachelbich, the meter-deep trenches dug around the camp were the easiest feature to spot in the soil. Two perimeter trenches have been found, each more than 400 meters long.
On the camp’s northern edge, the soldiers built a gate protected by another trench that projected out past the perimeter. “It’s typically Roman—no Germans did that sort of thing,” Kuessner says. The trenches were part of a simple, but effective makeshift perimeter defense: A low wall of dirt was thrown up behind the trench, then topped with tall stakes, to create a defensive barrier almost 3 meters wide and 3 meters high. Erosion wiped away the wall long ago, but it left discolorations in the soil where the trench was dug.
Archaeologists also unearthed the remains of eight bread ovens close to the camp perimeter, which shows an impressive commitment to quality food considering the legionaries weren’t going to be there for long. Some artifacts confirming the military nature of the camp were found: four hobnails from the soles of Roman caligae, fittings from a sword scabbard and horse tackle.
The style of the artifacts places the camp in the first two centuries of the first millennium and radiocarbon dating supports the range, but archaeologists haven’t found anything to narrow it down any further or link to the camp to the reign of a certain emperor. Excavations will continue this year and the next at least. After the crops in the valley are harvested this fall, archaeologists will be able to excavate the farmland. They hope to find coins that will provide a precise date, or an artifact with the legion number on it that would write a new chapter in Roman military history.
In celebration of William Shakespeare's 450th birthday, magician Teller (the quiet one), recently co-directed a new version of the Bard's magicial play, The Tempest. In a video, Teller discusses the production with Mark Mobley for a segment of NPR's The Record.
TheGazette has received the following request for a volunteer:
As you may or may not know the Archery Community has a quarterly newsletter called “Quivers and Quarrels.” We have had a wonderful editor/Chronicler working on it but she needs an immediate replacement.
Are there any Archery enthusiasts you know who would flourish in this kind of role? The Q&Q Chronicler serves as a deputy to me and has a host of people supplying material for their newsletter.
If you know anyone who might be interested, please have them contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will gladly answer any questions they may have about the job. This might also be a good training ground for future Kingdom Chroniclers.
Please spread the word.
Filed under: Archery, Uncategorized Tagged: archery, volunteers
Leslie Vaughn, President of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., has announced that Board of Directors is seeking applicants for the position of Society Seneschal and Vice President of Operations.
CT scans have revealed that a small cartonnage sarcophagus in the Wellcome collection at Swansea University’s Egypt Centre contains the mummified remains of a three to four-month-old fetus.
The sarcophagus is just over 20 inches long and painted in the style of the 26th Dynasty (ca. 600 B.C.), with a yellow and blue wig, wide collar, and brick red face. The body features crossing diagonal lines that form diamond shapes with a cream vertical band from collar to feet and two horizontal bands intersecting it. On the bands are painted hieroglyphics that don’t make any sense. Because of this, there have been some questions its authenticity but it’s not unheard of for genuine sarcophagus from this period to have gibberish hieroglyphics. Pioneering Egyptologist Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie posited that the painters of mock hieroglyphics may have been illiterate and included the nonsense words because the presence of hieroglyphics was important for the voyage to the afterlife. The provenance of the piece can’t help because all we know about it is that it entered the collection in 1971.
In 1998, Singleton Hospital X-rayed the sarcophagus and found traces of what could be a small skull, but nothing conclusive. On April 28th of this year, Swansea Univerity’s Clinical Imaging College of Medicine CT scanned the sarcophagus which revealed far more details about what’s inside. The bulk of the space is filled with folded textile, likely linen bandages.
Within those folded strips of material, the CT scan showed a darker area about 3 inches long which researchers identified as a fetus in fetal position and with a placental sac. What could be the fetus’s femur was also identified.
“The length of the femur together with the size of the dark patch is consistent with that of a 12 to 16-week-old fetus,” Graves-Brown said.
“Another dark patch suggests the presence of an amulet and there are several areas with dark circles resembling strings of beads or tassels,” she added.
The CT scan could not determine the gender of the fetus. The iconography of the sarcophagus suggests he was a boy. The striped wig was typically used on the sarcophaguses of men (although women were known to sport them as well) and the russet face paint is characteristic of male burials.
Fetus coffins are rare but not unheard of. There were two fetuses found in Tutankhamun’s tomb, and a whole section of the Eastern cemetery in Deir el-Medina was dedicated to the burial of children, fetuses and placentas. Egyptians believed the placenta was a twin of the self, so when a fetus or stillbirth was buried, the placenta was buried too.
NPS Archaeology, working on an 18-month excavation at Wales' Cardigan Castle, has unearthed a stone archway dating to the 12th century beneath the floor of the castle. The archway is believed to have led to the tower of the original castle.
Just 29 km from the Arctic Circle, near Zeleniy Yar in Siberia, a group of bodies dating back to the Middle Ages have been found in shallow graves.
It seems the Met is feeling generous these days, not just in enhancing its collection but also in sharing it. As part of its new Open Access for Scholarly Content program, the museum is releasing 400,000 high resolution images that can be downloaded directly from its website and used for scholarly purposes without asking for permission or paying a fee.
In making the announcement, [Thomas Campbell, Director and CEO of the Metropolitan Museum of Art] said: “Through this new, open-access policy, we join a growing number of museums that provide free access to images of art in the public domain. I am delighted that digital technology can open the doors to this trove of images from our encyclopedic collection.”
OASC was developed as a resource for students, educators, researchers, curators, academic publishers, non-commercial documentary filmmakers, and others involved in scholarly or cultural work. Prior to the establishment of OASC, the Metropolitan Museum provided images upon request, for a fee, and authorization was subject to terms and conditions.
To access the images, click on the collection database and either search by keyword, browse the featured artists/topics or browse by material, geographic location, era or departments. For getting lost in beautiful things, I’m partial to browsing by era and culture. Look for the OASC in a little box underneath the picture the left of the My Met link. To download the image, click on the down arrow to the right and save the image to your hard drive in the usual way. They also seem to allow hotlinking but that’s rude and unreliable in the long term so I wouldn’t do that.
Apparently some images that are still under copyright or whose status is unclear are not yet available for free use, but I haven’t encountered any in my browsing thus far. If the photograph is not free for use, it will not have the OASC icon underneath them
On a tangentially related (at best) note, while enjoying a random browse today I came across this arresting bronze of Roman emperor Trebonianus Gallus (reigned 251–253 A.D.). Almost the entire statue is original, a very rare survival of a complete third century freestanding bronze. Is that tiny head on that large body not the weirdest thing? And that’s an idealized portrayal, or at least the body is. He’s posed like a famous statue of Alexander the Great carved by Lysippos that inspired many a fine figure for centuries. The face, on the other hand, appears to be realistic which makes for an eye-catchingly disproportionate combination. Still, there’s no question the head and body are of a piece. The museum X-rayed the statue and found the head is original to that body.
600 years ago, Howe's was a satellite community of Cambridge, England. Then it disappeared off the map. Now archaeologists have begun investigating Howe's, along with three other villages, that ringed the medieval university town.
Vivat Prince Edward !
Vivat Princess Þóra !
Vivant the Kingdom of the East!
The Gazette is especially grateful to Mistress Alys Mackyntoich for her diligent reporting from the fieid today.
Filed under: Events, Tidings Tagged: Crown Tournament, Crown Tourney